Act Like Jesus by Andrew Garrett
We have been living in such a divisive time. Everywhere you look, you’ll find people arguing and debating. If you’re like me, it is painful to watch. In fact, it may even feel physically painful.
I’ve seen fighting with people on political parties. I’ve see people arguing about safety policies. You have definitely experienced this before.
So I asked myself the question, what should Christians do about this? Should I keep myself from joining in on this?
I look to the book of 1 Peter, chapter 3. Verses 1-7 contain instructions for how wives and husbands should act. But verse 8 begins a very interesting part.
“Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.”
1 Peter 3:8-9 NIV
When I read this, I thought “Wow… Peter, that hits deep”. It seems like these verses directly explains what our reaction should be.
1. Be like-minded with each other: DONT be split amongst yourselves unnecessarily
2. Love one another: love is the ultimate equalizer, Jesus demonstrated a ministry of love, not arguing
3. Be compassionate: even if you think they don’t deserve it, even if they disagree with you.
4. Be humble: you don’t have to always be right, the meek will inherit the earth
5. Do not repay evil with evil: remember that you are God’s chosen, don’t stoop to their level
Instead, be different. Repay their evil or insult with blessing and love.
As Christians, we have to handle ourselves like this, especially online. If you need to work on one of these or multiple, it’s okay because God’s grace is sufficient. He wants you act like Jesus, and show love.